Pursuant to national and PHA corporate health services objectives, the mission of the SMA is:
“To provide quality medicines, medical supplies and health commodities for the residents of the Commonwealth of The Bahamas in a superior manner while constantly seeking to improve systems and methods, and to serve customers (internal and external) in a courteous and efficient manner”.
The SMA’s main responsibilities are:
- Procurement, storage, distribution and tracking of medicines, medical/surgical supplies, linen, cleaning materials, stationery, food, hospital equipment/furniture and other health commodities;
- Monitoring and evaluation of the public sector supply chain;
- Coordinating and overseeing quality control mechanisms at all levels within the supply chain;
- Promoting a culture of continuous improvement throughout the supply chain and
- Promoting coordinating and collaborating mechanisms with stakeholder groups.
In carrying out these responsibilities, the SMA is committed to achieving the following objectives:
- Provide a continuous supply of medicines, medical/surgical supplies, linen, cleaning materials, stationery, food, hospital equipment/furniture and other health commodities to the Government Health Care Institutions;
- Manage a transparent tendering process;
- Rationalize the use of medicines and medical supplies and reduce their cost to the public;
- Make arrangements for the selection, procurement, warehousing, distribution and utilization of medicines and medical supplies in a timely and cost effective manner;
- Maintain a value analysis approach to the evaluation and selection of all products and services for use throughout the organization;
- Develop and maintain an integrated network system for the acquisition and delivery of supplies;
- Improve and strengthen the monitoring of Suppliers’ compliance with contractual obligations to ensure quality Supplier performance;
- Improve and strengthen the inventory management systems of Government health facilities through continuous monitoring, evaluation and training;
- Capture and provide information on medicines, medical/surgical supplies, linen, cleaning materials, stationery, food, hospital equipment/furniture and health commodities utilization to guide decision making and minimize waste;
- Lead and coordinate collaborative mechanisms with stakeholder agencies and groups;
- Identify and pursue strategic business opportunities;
- Maintain effective communication and collaboration with customers and suppliers;
- Initiate beneficial changes that result in continuous improvement in service delivery and customer satisfaction;
- Provide employees with a safe, healthy and clean environment and
- Promote professional growth and development and opportunities for employees through an effective training process.
We exercise these values to meet or exceed the expectations of our customers and each other:
- Integrity: We make decisions and act consistently to reflect the highest ethical standards that support an environment of honesty, transparency and trust.
- Team Work: we work together in a synergistic manner, using open communication to achieve the greatest success in all our relationships.
- Respect: We interact at all times in a respectful manner with all stakeholders.
- Innovations: We encourage a creative environment which fosters the development of unique concepts and solutions.
- Excellence: We deliver unparalleled service, high quality outcomes, and exceptional reliability.